Our History

1929 to 1950.

Growth and progress on both sides of World War One, saw the development and emergence of the great side of the 1930’s. One of the original 21 founder members of the ‘West Wales League’ in 1929, this period saw us as Championship winners in 1930-31,  Championship finalist’s in 1932-33 and Semi-Finalist's in 1938-39. In what were termed ‘missionary’ matches, organised at the time to raise some finance and local interest, the ‘Fera proudly beat the likes of Swansea, Llanelli and Bridgend, holding the ‘whites’ and Neath to drawn games all here at our home ground of Ynysydarren Park. Despite these admirable performances Ystalyfera still had to fight to retain the ground for sport against an increasing demand for industrial building sites. To combat this the Athletic Club was formed and it is to them that we owe a great deal. In 1934 members of the Ystalyfera Rugby, Cricket and Tennis club carried an unanimous proposal to purchase Ynysydarrren Field as a central sports ground for Ystalyfera. The sale of the field was negotiated with Colonel Gough for the then princely sum of £500 (still one third of the market value). Today after all these years the wisdom of the purchase is apparent to all. Another milestone in this era was the formation of the 2nd XV, or as they were known at the time "The All Whites"; in 1936-37, the moniker "The Invincibles" was also added following that unbeaten season. Ystalyfera won the West Wales Cup in 1939, beating Loughor 7–3 at Pontardulais in a replay after a 0 – 0 draw. This oldest recognised Rugby Trophy remained on the Ystalyfera Chairman’s mantelpiece for the next seven years throughout the Second World War, the longest it has been in any one place in its famous history. At this time the "black and reds" as Ystalyfera were known, did our bit and surrendered the field to the "dig for victory" campaign, with the field being transformed into a potato patch. In the first season after the war in 1946-47, Ystalyfera reached the final of the West Wales Cup again only to lose against Tumble 0 – 6 at Stradley Park. Due to a ‘surge’ of interest in sports of all types immediately after the War, the West Wales League underwent a change due to the influx of the dreaded Rugby League and in 1950 was re-named the West Wales Championship, having by then increased to 36 sides…..  

  Season Position

PL

W D L F A Trys Pts  
                       
  1929-30 7 of 21 19 11 2 6       24  
  1930-31 1 of 21 26 23 0 3       46  
  1931-32 3 of 9 (East) 12 5 4 3       14  
  1932-33 3 of 18 18 9 2 7       20  
  1933-34 11 of 18 20                
  1834-35 ? of 20 21                
  1935-36 8 of 22 23                
  1936-37 14 of 24 24 8 6 10       22  
  1937-38 13 0f 24 25 11 3 11 97 25   35  
  1938-39 4 of 24 28 18 8 2 86 37   44  
  1946-47 ? of 25                  
  1947-48 ? of 28                  
  1948-49 11 of 30 22 13 2 7       28  
  1949-50 9 of 35 19 11 2 6       24