Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 15 - 31 Bedwas RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Castle
Conversion 1
Penalty 1
Luc Caines
Try 2

Match Report
22 January 2020 / Team News

Ystalyfera 15 – 31 Bedwas

Under a bright sun and blue sky, with no breeze at all, Ystalyfera entertained third in the table Bedwas at Ynysydarren. This was a return fixture to the 13 – 52 defeat inflicted by Bedwas back in September.

Bedwas kicked off from the School end into the sunlight, from the first attack winning the first penalty and first line-out in the ‘Fera 22. Using a scrum, Bedwas Pushed hard and gained the second penalty for offside. Now opting for a 5m line-out, the throw in was not straight, but Bedwas won the resulting scrum against the put in. Moving the ball out to their wing, No11 Jardan Rees ran thru to get the first Try of the game, this converted by outside half Dion McIntosh in the 6th minute: score 0 – 7. At the re-start a set of kicks between the sides, saw ‘Fera outside half Gareth James punt a neat kick out to winger Luc Caines, who kicked the ball further and out run the Bedwas defenders to score an equalising Try, this converted by full back Steffan Castle: score 7 – 7. Keeping up the enthralling start, Bedwas attacked from the re-start into the Changing Room corner, where the ‘Fera had to defend hard to keep them out. Play drifted into the middle of the field, where both sides failed to control possession, Bedwas getting a further penalty. Setting up a 5m line-out in the Tunnel corner, Ystalyfera recovered well, only to give away a 5th penalty in the 16th minute. Dion McIntosh regained the lead 7 – 10. In the 20th minute, Ystalyfera won their first penalty, keeping play in midfield. Having now organised their scrum, ‘Fera crept into the visitors half, breaking positively forward only to give away another penalty for holding the ball. The game returned to the ‘Fera 22, where the Bedwas forwards made a powerful attack, moving the ball well until a gap opened for prop Lewis Davies to charge over the home try line for the second Bedwas Try in the 28th minute. This was converted: score 7 – 17. Persistent in their resolve, Bedwas attacked again, and Ystalyfera worked the game out to the wing where the visitors gave away a penalty. The match rotated from one half to the other, both sides looking for chances, until Ystalyfera were awarded a penalty in the 35th minute which Steffan Castle kicked over: score 10 – 17.  Chasing the re-start, the ball travelled up to the Bedwas try line. A set of scrums and line-outs ensued, until the Bedwas backs chose to run the ball, a change of pace saw gaps open and fast running and good support play allowed Bedwas flanker Owen Jones to score their third Try in the 40+2nd minute. This was also converted for a half time score 10 – 24. 

Ystalyfera kicked off the second period, Bedwas clearing off field. ‘Fera made an attack and Bedwas won a penalty, only for Ystalyfera to get a penalty in the next scrum. The ‘Fera pressed another attack, Bedwas clearing their lines. The Bedwas forwards then moved the game into the home half, Ystalyfera gaining possession in an offside position. This gave Bedwas the chance of a line-out in the Garage corner. A well taken catch and drive in the 55th minute being converted lifting the lead to 10 – 31. Bedwas were now full on in attack and Ystalyfera had to work hard to keep them out. Obviously not giving up the ‘Fera took a chance to attack again. A set of kicks put Ystalyfera into the Changing Room corner, only for the visitors to win a scrum and clear to half way. A further penalty for Ystalyfera allowed a switch of attack into the Tunnel corner, and Bedwas again were able to clear back to half way. A break along the touchline by Ystalyfera was stopped, only for the ‘Fera to win the resulting line-out, substitute Ben William-Jones making a break for the Bedwas try-line. A pass attempt to Luc Caines went amiss and Bedwas luckily got a 5m scrum. Clearing back to half way, a flurry of loose passing by both sides ended with a ‘Fera scrum. Every effort was being made by Ystalyfera in the closing period, and this was rewarded in the 78th minute when the determined Luc Caines run in his second Try of the game in the Tunnel Corner. A quick conversion attempt by Steffan Castle missed leaving a final score of 15 – 31 to Bedwas.

Being able to select a side with players in familiar positions proved a benefit for Ystalyfera. The side retained its shape and gave a useful and skilful Bedwas side capable opposition. Flanker Ben Williams made his 50th appearance for the club, whilst Steffan Castle played his 50th appearance on the trot

With the international break coming after next weekend, the chance for players to recoup some strength and fitness should do well for Ystalyfera, when some fixtures where we could collect some much needed points will be upon us.

Penalty count was 11 for Ystalyfera and 13 for Bedwas.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos