Seven Sisters RFC | 1st Team 7 - 52 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
21 May 2018 / Team News

Seven Sisters 7 – 52 Ystalyfera

The final League fixture of the season was away at relegated Seven Sisters. The Maes Dafydd was sunny and warm, a very slight breezy blowing from the South.

Ystalyfera started into the sun and Seven Sisters got the first scrum and penalty kick, setting play up with a line out on the ‘Fera 22. The Ystalyfera forwards won the ball but a knock on gave the home side a 5m scrum in centre-field. The ‘Fera pack pushed hard however and “Seven” had to retreat. A set of kicks by both sides moved play into midfield, where Ystalyfera backs broke thru with a chase by wing Luc Caines. From a scrum on the home 5m line, Ystalyfera were awarded two penalties and repeated drives saw the referee award a penalty Try in the 20th minute. Straight from the restart Seven Sisters centre Jack Grey burst thru a gap which full back Ieuan Eltham converted leaving the score 7 – 7 on 25 minutes. Play resumed and both sides attempted to work the ball in midfield. Seven Sisters were more assertive with the bright sunshine behind them, and they formed up in the Ystalyfera half. Creeping forward “Seven” earned a 5m line out, but the ‘Fera defence stood true. The game continued with the home side looking for gaps, but nothing developed. Eventually Ystalyfera patience and Seven Sisters frustration took effect, and in the 40+2 minute, Ystalyfera backs broke thru and good passing allowed centre Martyn Davies to run in the first Try. Outside half Gareth James converted. Seven Sisters now seemed to stop playing and ‘Fera wing Josh Jarrett tore thru the home defence, defying all attempts to tackle him. When he was stopped the ball was released quickly and neat passing across the field allowed lock Jesse Patton to score the third visitor Try. Half time score 7 – 19.

In the second period, Ystalyfera were determined to run the ball at every opportunity, and so they did. The fast ‘Fera backs sought out openings, whilst their forwards worked the ball back and forth across the field. Close support was most effective, and Seven Sisters were pushed to keep their opponents out. Leading Try scorer Luc Caines was hungry to succeed and he scored a hat-trick of Trys in the 49th, 53rd and 60th minutes. Gareth James converted two and his replacement Steffan Castle kicked the last. Powerful runner and full back Bowdy Davies scored a Try in the 55th minute, Steffan Castle converting the same. In the 75th minute, Ystalyfera blitzed the weary Seven Sisters defence, and ended the scoring as it had started with a penalty Try. Final score Seven Sisters 7 – 52 Ystalyfera.

The result confirmed Ystalyfera at second place in the League, having beaten every other team at least once in a long hard campaign. With a Quarter Final spot in the Silver Ball and a Semi Final in the Welsh Plate, the season will end with an almighty effort to win the West Wales Cup. Ystalyfera were winners way back in 1939, at Pontardulais 7 – 3 over Loughor, after firstly playing out a 0 – 0 draw. The ‘Fera lost in the same final in the next season in 1947 (had to beat Adolf Hitler first), Tumble the 6 – 0 winners at Stradey Park. Lets have one for the sheddies.

The penalty counts were;

8 for Ystalyfera – 1 not releasing player, 1 offside, 1 holding the ball and 5 in the scrum.

4 for Seven Sisters – 1 not releasing ball, 1 scrum, 1 offside and 1 holding a player.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos