Bonymaen RFC | 1st Team 19 - 20 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Emyr Myers
1 Try
Steffan Castle
2 Conversion
2 Penalty
Jonathan Andrew Williams
1 Try

Match Report
22 December 2017 / Team News

Bonymaen 19 – 20 Ystalyfera

Having met each other the week previous in the 3rd Round of the Plate, The ‘Fera being narrow winners, Bonymaen were hosts in the return league fixture on 16th December.

Bonymaen kicked off, conditions being cloudy and cold with a slippery surface. Both sides began cautiously, attempting to keep possession and Ystalyfera opened the scoring with a penalty from outside half Steffan Castle. In the 16th minute Bonymaen forwards made a positive driving attack and took the lead with a well worked Try – score: 5 – 3. This seemed to wake Ystalyfera up, and an excellent line kick by centre Andrew Jenkins gave the home side a throw in on their 5m line. The ‘Fera forwards contested and stole the ball, prop Andrew Williams driving over for the first Ystalyfera Try in the 20th minute, converted by Steffan Castle – score: 5 – 10. Bonymaen came back and in a 5 metre attack unfortunately knocked on. Both sides were making handling mistakes in the conditions. The game flowed back and fore between the sides as they gained possession of the ball, both defences holding out their opponents well. In the 27th minute, an excellent line-out move allowed Ystalyfera to work the ball out their line, and smart passing allowed wing Emyr Myers to dart under the home posts for a well taken Try. Converted again by Steffan the score lifted to 5 – 17. Ystalyfera were now searching for gaps in the Bonymaen defence, wing Josh Jarrett unlucky with a break. Whilst the ‘Fera moved the ball between the touchlines, Bonymaen were certainly not out of it. Attempting to lift their game they worked hard to control possession and the contest settled in midfield.

Ystalyfera started the second half and both sides attempted to kick the ball to gain territory advantage. Bonymaen worked up-field with positive line out plays. In the 47th minute a set of catch and drives in the ‘Fera 22 were deemed by the referee to be illegally stopped and flanker Owain Morgan was yellow carded. Penalties gave Bonymaen further line out options and eventually the referee awarded the home side a penalty Try – score: 12 – 17. Bonymaen were lifted by this and the contest intensified. Hard tackles were being made by both sides and scrums broke even. Substitutes were brought on by both teams with their efforts at the maximum. The game moved from one half to the other until a penalty opportunity arose for Steffan Castle in the 77th minute. A fine kick raised the score to 12 – 20. Bonymaen were not giving up and ran the ball at every opportunity. Eventually the ‘Fera defence left an opening and a home Try was scored in the 79th minute. The long conversion was expertly kicked and the score was 19 – 20 at full time. Despite 12 minutes of extra time no further chances arose, both sides being totally exhausted.  


This was a high quality game between two of the best sides in the Division. No quarter was given and despite the hard and determined efforts by both teams, all the players on the field kept respect for their opponents and gave an outstanding performance. Both sides have qualified for the Semi-Finals of the Peter Lynn and Partners West Wales Cup, the other contestants being Dunvant and Felinfoel – first and second in Division One West respectively.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos