Resolven RFC | 1st Team 21 - 59 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Josh Jarrett
2 Try
Callum Papp
2 Try
Gareth James
5 Conversion
Martyn Davies
1 Try
Cameron Miguel
1 Try
Steffan Lloyd Castle
2 Conversion
Luc Caines
3 Try

Match Report
17 May 2018 / Team News

Resolven 21 – 59 Ystalyfera

The penultimate League fixture of the season was away at relegated Resolven. Vaughan Field was dry with a setting sun and a slight breeze from West to East.

Ystalyfera kicked off from the changing room end, taking the first scrum after an immediate penalty by Resolven. The ‘Fera broke away but dropped the ball, and a return penalty for Resolven took the game to half way. Ystalyfera won the line out only to drop the ball again, and Resolven took the chance to make their first attack. In the 7th minute, Ystalyfera centre Ryan Lee James forced a turnover, passing the ball to his fellow centre Martyn Davies. He bustled his way thru the home defence, and scored the first Try close to the posts. ‘Fera Outside half Gareth James converted: score 0 – 7. The restart saw a set of probing kicks by both sides, the contest for possession rotating in midfield. From a quickly taken scrum, Resolven flanker Ned Shenton fooled the ‘Fera back row and broke clear to run in an equalising Try under the posts, Outside half Owen Evans converting in the 12th minute: score 7 – 7. The game was soon back in the home half, where a clearance found its way to Ystalyfera full back Bowdy Davies. He ran straight and fast, being stopped by a tackle into touch in Resolven territory. Ystalyfera won the lineout and the catch and drive powered up-field, allowing flanker Callum Papp to cross over in the 15th minute: score 7 – 12. Resolven attempted to redeem the score and the Ystalyfera line-backs put in some big hits. Gaining possession, Ystalyfera moved the ball quickly but a miss pass let Resolven clear back into the away half. After another penalty, Ystalyfera again win a Resolven lineout. Moving quickly an opening was generated and scrum half Andrew Jenkins made a smart pass to lock Cameron Miguel. He scored the third 'Fe‘a Try in the 25th minute. Gareth James converted: score 7 – 19. Ystalyfera scrums were now begining to reap rewards and attacks materialised from left to right. Resolven began to struggle in keeping their visitors at bay, with seemingly desperate kicks used to clear the ball. Ystalyfera kept up the tempo and in the 34th minute Captain Steffan Jones made a neat pass to Callum Papp, who scored his second and the ‘bonus’ point Try. The reliable Gareth James converted: score 7 – 26. Events were all one way for the remainder of this half, wing Josh Jarrett scoring the 5th Try in added on time after a complete cross the field attack by Ystalyfera. Another conversion left the score: 7 – 33 at the break.    

Resolven started the second half with control of the ball but constant attention by Ystalyfera generated handling errors. The ‘Fera scrums were solid and a quick break from the visitors half saw Josh Jarrett fly thru the Resolven defence only to be tackled close to the home try-line. A scramble for the ball allowed supporting winger Luc Caines to score the 6th Try in the 44th minute: score 7 – 38. Resolven were not giving up and continued to work hard for control of the ball. A scrum on the Ystalyfera 5m line saw the home side win possession but their backs failed to move forward. The Ystalyfera defence was aggressive and wing Luc Caines broke downfield at speed. Resolven were forced to clear off-field and in the 55th minute Ystalyfera completed a perfect line out. Slick passing got the ball to Josh Jarrett who scored his second under the posts. Gareth James kicked his 5th conversion: score 7 – 45. The game was certainly not slowing down, much to the chagrin of the Resolven players. In the 60th minute Ystalyfera cut thru again and clean passing allowed Luc Caines to gain his second Try. Substitute outside half and kicker Steffan Castle converted: score 7 – 52. Ystalyfera were now all running at Resolven when they had the ball, play becoming quite open. In the 67th minute Resolven pounced on an opportunity and substitute Christian Sandry scored their second Try which was converted: score 14 – 52. Seven minutes later and Resolven repeated the feat lifting the score to: 21- 52. The Ystalyfera backs were not finished yet however, and in the 78th minute following a long kick thru, Luc Caines scored his third Try of the game and his 20th of the season. Steffan Castle converted again ending the match at; Resolven 21 – 59 Ystalyfera.

An end of season mid-week game which delivered some good Try’s and fast flowing rugby matching the good weather. Ystalyfera were looking for points to clinch a deserved second place in the league and Resolven to their credit played out to the end.

The penalty counts were;

6 for Ystalyfera – 1 not releasing player, 1 offside, 1 high tackle, 1 in from side and 2 holding the ball.

10 for Resolven – 2 not releasing ball, 1 scrum, 2 offside, 2 holding a player, 1 high tackle and 2 dangerous tackle.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos