Bargoed RFC | 1st Team 47 - 3 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Calum Jones
Conversion 2
Stefan Thomas
Try 2
Darren Humphries
Try 1
Steffan Jones
Try 1
Conversion 4
Grant Rogers
Try 1
Adam Powell
Try 2
Steffan Lloyd Castle
1 Penalty

Match Report
12 November 2019 / Team News

Bargoed 47 – 3 Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera travelled to second placed Bargoed in the misty rainclouds, turning out under floodlights, having only ever being here before back in season 1997-98. At that time ‘Fera gained promotion from Division Six Central ‘B’, winning 65-22 at Ynysydarren and 24-21 at Bargoed Park. Bargoed were relegated, only to finish as Champions in four consecutive seasons between 2002 and 2006, lifting them up into Division One. Bargoed were promoted in 2012 to the Championship and into the Premier in 2016. Last season has been their only ever relegation and so are a much fancied side to challenge Pontypool, the favourites this season.  

Ystalyfera kicked off towards the ‘town’ end, the home side clearing to their 22m line. The ‘Fera made the first attack and whilst the Bargoed full back called a ‘mark’, the referee penalised their defence giving Ystalyfera a 2nd minute penalty. This was gratefully slotted over tidily by Steffan Castle: score 0 – 3. From the re-start Ystalyfera gained a scrum and lost possession. Bargoed ran the ball across their back line looking for gaps in the ‘Fera defence, they in turn having to tackle most resolutely. Bargoed pressed and earned a scrum on the 5m line. Pushing hard over the try-line, their No8 Adam Powell scored the first try in the 11th minute: score 5 – 3. Ystalyfera prop Robat White had to be substituted, being replaced BY Scott Meakin. With the wet conditions Ystalyfera lost the ball from the re-start, Bargoed in turn dropping the same after a line out. Play rotated from one half to the other, defences by both sides keeping the advantage. ‘Fera wing Luc Caines gathered possession from a searching Bargoed kick, darting up the centre until tackled. From a scrum Bargoed were awarded a penalty and after a resulting catch and drive pressed deep into the ‘Fera 22. In the 24th minute from the back of a scrum the Bargoed half backs engineered the second try, being grounded by wing Steffan Thomas and converted by outside half Steffan Jones: score 12 – 3. Rain now began to fall and Ystalyfera lost the next line out. Bargoed took advantage and passed into the visitor half only to drop the ball again. The Ystalyfera scrum was being pushed seemingly easily, giving the home side a big advantage. Looking to penetrate with searching kicks Bargoed were kept at bay by excellent defence kicking by ‘Fera outside half Taylor Phillips and full back Steffan Castle. From a catch and drive move, Bargoed drove under the ‘Fera posts where they were awarded a penalty. Choosing a scrum the ball was quickly released and Bargoed outside half Steffan Jones scored a try and conversion in 35th minute, lifting the score to 19 – 3. After a set of kicks between the sides, Bargoed attacked again off a line out but ‘Fera centre Jonathan Bayliss made a commendable interception, his kick and chase upfield having to be fielded off the park with some desperation by the home defence. Positive reaction by the ‘Fera forwards saw a big effort close to the home try-line, winning a penalty and a 5m line out. An unfortunate knock on gave Bargoed a scrum from which they ran the ball out, unable to stop the attack Bargoed ran in their fourth try in the 40+3 minute, Steffan Jones converting again leaving the half time score 26 – 3.

Ystalyfera won an immediate penalty from the second period start, Taylor Phillips putting his side into the Bargoed 22. The ‘Fera forwards secured a catch and drive, their effort earning a scrum. Giving away a penalty, play returned into the Ystalyfera half where the visitors broke out. Possession passed from side to side, both seeking to gain an advantage. Full use of kicks and line outs kept all the forwards busy to retain the ball, and the backs to hold their line and break when possible. Eventually in the 60th minute, another strong Bargoed scrum gave the chance of another try which was taken, Converting again the score was: 33 – 3. Ystalyfera were certainly not giving up and Taylor Phillips again put his forwards into the home 22. Pushing under the posts another knock on relieved the home side, Bargoed kicking to touch. Now playing with every confidence the home side began to readily move the ball left to right, and in the 70th minute scored another goal raising the score to 40 – 3. Beleaguered Ystalyfera ended the game entrenched in their 5m area, working hard to hold back the home side. In the 80+3 minute the seventh try was scored, the match ending with The 6th  home conversion: score 47 – 3.

Despite the wet and wintry conditions Bargoed had to work to maintain their dominating results this season to date. Ystalyfera as always put up a brave fight but in the end were overwhelmed, confirming that only certain fixtures can be targeted this season, this certainly not being one.

Penalty count was 7 against Bargoed and 10 against Ystalyfera.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos