Waunarlwydd RFC | 1st Team 6 - 19 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Lloyd Castle
1 Conversion
4 Penalty
Luc Caines
1 Try

Match Report
16 April 2019 / Team News

Waunarlwydd 6 – 19 Ystalyfera

The last away League game of the season saw Ystalyfera travel to Waunarlwydd, the side who opened the season at Ynysydarren back on 1st September. The weather was sunny with a chilly wind blowing towards the Clubhouse end.   

The ‘Fera kicked off into the wind, getting an immediate penalty and opting for the first line-out. Waunarlwydd were then awarded the first scrum whereupon they pushed the ‘Fera pack getting the first scrum penalty. After fielding the kick, Ystalyfera began to drive forwards but dropped the ball. The second Waunarlwydd scrum earned their second penalty, Lee Evans converting in the 7th minute: score 3 – 0. Play resumed and the ‘Fera pack began to work well as a unit. From a line-out catch and drive Ystalyfera roll toward the home try-line and a Waunarlwydd scrum on their 5m line was hotly contested. A turnover allowed attacking Ystalyfera the put in at a scrum. The ball was run wide, and good control by both ‘Fera wings Luc Caines and Emyr Myers won a penalty in the 15th minute which full back Steffan Castle converted: score 3 – 3. Loose play by both sides after the restart began a set of kicks. In the 20th minute, ‘Fera Center Jonathan Bayliss kicked through a low ball, and Luc Caines chasing, kicked forward again. Waunarlwydd defenders dropped the ball and Luc charged on all the way getting the first Try of the match and his 19 of the season. Steffan Castle converted: score 3 – 10. Using the wind advantage Waunarlwydd moved play into the ‘entrance’ corner. Winning a scrum they played the ball along their back line and the Ystalyfera defence had to work hard to keep them out. ‘Fera’s much experienced and always alert scrum half ‘Shenko’ Jenkins managed to steal possession, relieving the pressure. Waunarlwydd were most determined however and from a kick were soon back into the same corner of the field. The Ystalyfera defence was outstanding and every effort by Waunarlwydd to break the line was forced back with interest. In the 35th minute, a penalty chance for the home side was kicked over by Lee Evans ending the first half at 6 – 10.

Waunarlwydd kicked off the second period against the wind and play soon settled in the home 22. The home side attempted to run the ball forward but the ‘Fera tackling was strong. Andrew Jenkins continued to frustrate at the back of the scrums, and chances to increase the lead were lost by some loose passing. A penalty hard won by Ystalyfera was overturned by the referee, but the home side began to infringe more often and Steffan Castle stretched the lead in the 59th minute with a penalty: score 6 – 13. Waunarlwydd attempted a different approach by investing in their forwards. A catch and drive from a line-out drove to the visitors 5m line, but ‘Fera again stole the ball and cleared to half way. The Waunarlwydd efforts were not succeeding and the game settled in midfield. Ystalyfera outside half Gareth James was keeping his side at the advantage with deep line kicks .Further penalties inflicted by Steffan Castle in the 74th and 84th minutes, lifting his season total to 175 points, one short of his personal record of last season, sealed the victory for the league leaders, final score 6 – 19. 

Waunarlwydd provided capable competition in their quest to remain in Division One, but Ystalyfera remained strong throughout in their continued push to win the title. Two home games left requiring three points to be undisputed Champions..


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos