Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 8 - 12 Ystrad Rhondda RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Castle
Penalty 1
Bowdy Davies
Try 1
Rhys Truelove
4 Penalty

Match Report
07 January 2020 / Team News

Ystalyfera 8 – 12 Ystrad Rhondda

The first game of the New Year and the start of the return fixtures, saw Ystalyfera entertain Ystrad Rhondda. An important fixture in that both sides are engrossed in the competition at the bottom end of the table, the visitors having beaten Ystalyfera in the first game of the season  29 – 12.

With no wind or rain, Ystalyfera kicked off toward the School end, the first attack ending with a set of kicks. A gap allowed outside half Steffan Castle to work play into the Garage Corner, getting the first penalty attempt. Steffan narrowly missed, and Ystalyfera remained on the attack. Ystrad had to work hard, managing to kick clear only for ‘Fera Full Back Bowdy Davies to keep events in the visitors half. Both sides then began to rotate possession in midfield at a fast pace, until Ystrad were awarded a penalty on the ‘Fera 25m line in the 15th minute. Outside Half Rhys Truelove kicked over score: 0 – 3. Ystalyfera came back on the attack, getting a scrum under the visitor’s posts. A strong contest ensued until Ystrad made a break down the touchline, a forward pass stopping an apparent sure score. Ystalyfera then won a penalty and the game returned to half way. The game continued at a fast pace, with both sides leaving no room for error, it was going to need something special to break the deadlock. Ystalyfera wing Luc Caines attempted and was most unlucky with an interception chance, and his fellow wing Emyr Myers fearlessly dived in to gain the ball at the opposite end of the field. Seeing the opportunity, Bowdy Davies collected the ball in front of the ‘Sheddie’ touchline, and sped past the first Ystrad defenders. Putting in a smart punt, he by-passed the Ystrad back line and ran in the first Try in the 38th minute. This was not converted leaving a half time score of 5 – 3 to Ystalyfera.

Ystrad Rhondda collected the ball from a return kick after the re-start, only to give away a penalty for offside. The visitors had begun with purpose, Ystalyfera having to tackle fearlessly to keep them out. Their effort was rewarded in the 45th minute when Truelove kicked over his second penalty: score 5 – 6. Having found the way Ystrad Rhondda kept up their positive attacking. Needless penalties for over enthusiasm however kept the visitors at bay. Their determination was obvious however, and Ystalyfera had to tackle and tackle to keep them in check. The ‘Fera luck eventually ran out in the 54th minute when Ystrad were awarded another penalty which the reliable Rhys Truelove kicked over: score 5 – 9. The home forwards attempted to up their game but the visitors were patient and another penalty in the 61st minute lifted the score to 5 – 12. From the restart Ystalyfera pressed into the Changing Room corner and with Ystrad Rhondda this time making a mistake, Steffan Castle was able to redeem a penalty in the 65th minute: score 8 – 12. Both sides now sought to use the boot to gain advantage position, but the defences were strong. The last quarter hour of the game saw Ystalyfera attempting to break down the Ystrad line, but it was not to be, the final score 8 – 12 to Ystrad Rhondda.  

With hard fixtures coming every week, the lack of players in the Ystalyfera squad is beginning to tell with men having to play out of position and/or with injuries. Their individual effort is there to see and nothing more can be asked for.  

Penalty count was 13 for Ystalyfera and 9 for Ystrad Rhondda.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos