Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 17 - 20 Cardiff Met RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Lloyd Castle
Conversion 1
Jonathan Bayliss
Try 1
Benjamin Williams-jones
Try 1
Steffan Jones
Try 1
Andrew Nurse
1 Try
William Gibson
1 Try
Corey Lewis
1 Try
Russell William Bennett
1 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
09 October 2019 / Team News

Ystalyfera 17 – 20 Cardiff Met.

On 5th October 2019, Ystalyfera entertained Cardiff Metropolitan University in cloudy conditions with no wind and occaisional showers.  

Ystalyfera kicked off playing toward the Swansea end, winning the first penalty which full back Steffan Castle set up as a line out in the away 22. The first scrum was won by the ‘Fera pack and further progress by the forwards moved play closer to the Cardiff Met. try-line. Pressure remained and in the 5th minute scrum half Ben William-Jones darted off the back of a scrum to score his first Try for the club. This was converted by Steffan Castle score: 7 – 0. The strong contest for the ball after the re-start saw Ystalyfera give away two penalties. The second was taken quickly allowing the Cardiff Met. full back Andrew Nurse to run under the posts for the first visitor Try. This was converted by outside half Russell Bennett in the 9th minute equalising the score at 7 – 7. The game was being played at a fast pace with Ystalyfera attacking thru their forwards where the scrum was dominant. In the 14th minute ‘Fera outside centre Jonathan Bayliss broke thru the visitors defence and darted over the line for the second home Try, this not converted 12 – 7. Play resumed with Cardiff Met. running the ball into the home 22 only to give away a scrum. The game continued as a battle in midfield to gain possession. The visitors were moving the ball well and the Ystalyfera defence had to work hard, giving away penalties in the process. In the 25th minute Russell Bennett capitalised: score 12 – 10. The visitors attacked again keeping play in the home half. After a long clearance kick by outside half Gareth James into the changing room corner, a quick take by the Met. allowed scrum half Dylan Davies to run up-field. The attack was only stopped with ‘Fera needing a drop out. Cardiff Met. won a penalty and after a 10m advance the attempt at the posts was missed. In an end to end contest Ystalyfera were now back in the changing room corner with a 5m line out. An excellent catch by lock Jesse Patton saw the chance lost with a knock on, Cardiff Met. getting a scrum. The ‘Fera forwards won the ball against the head and No8 Steffan Jones scored the third home Try in the 37th minute. The half time score was 17 – 10.

The second period started in heavy rain, a scrum in the ‘Fera 22 being cleared by a Steffan Castle kick. Despite the effect of a slippery ball Cardiff Met. were running at every opportunity. A defending 5m line out in the changing room corner won a penalty for the home side, taking the game back to half way. The rain brought on a set of kicks between the sides, looking for good position. In the 49th minute the visitors found a gap and run thru to score their second Try by No8 and Captain Will Gibson: score 17 – 15. After the restart Ystalyfera ran the ball from a line-out, a scrum wining a penalty. Another set of kicks between the sides moved play into the home half, where Ystalyfera had to defend rigorously. A break by Cardiff Met. was stopped by a Steffan Castle tackle. Substitutes were now brought on for both sides, Ystalyfera changing the whole front row. The Met. attacked again and ‘Fera wing Luc Caines gained possession, kicking upfield he chased the ball, the visitors having to clear. With a close score both sides were giving their all. Another long kick by Gareth James was chased by Luc Caines only to be found offside. The visitors continued to attempt a breakthrough with running rugby and the Ystalyfera defence was playing well. A set of kicks brought events back to the changing room corner. In the 72nd minute a 5m line out for Cardiff Met. saw a catch and drive effort fall short of the line but the referee awarded a Try to hooker Corey Lewis. Protests went unheard and the Met. attacked again from the restart. The game finished with a set of scrums in midfield with Ystalyfera attempting to run the ball.    

Seeking the first League win of the season, Ystalyfera played well against a youthful and fast Cardiff Metropolitan University side well known to run the ball well. The chance was there but fate decided it was not to be today. All the players work at their best and no more can be asked. There are a lot of games left and reward will come if this intensity continues. Keep it up ‘Fera!!!

Penalty count was 6 against Cardiff Met. and 11 against Ystalyfera.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos