Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 31 - 0 Seven Sisters RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Castle
Conversion 3
Emyr Myers
Try 1
Nathan Cornelius
Try 2
Steffan Jones
Try 2

Match Report
22 February 2018 / Team News

Ystalyfera 31 – 0 Seven Sisters

The long awaited first League meeting with Seven Sisters took place at Ynysydarren, with no rain on a wet and sticky surface.

‘Seven’ kicked off towards the Swansea end, God almighty giving the pitch a shake (4.4 on the Richter scale), to remind everyone he was watching. The visitors made a positive start, Ystalyfera having to defend well, wing Josh Jarrett taking the game back into the Seven Sisters half. After the first scrum, the ‘Fera launched a threatening attack, dropping the ball on the 5m line. The strength of the Ystalyfera pack was obvious from the start, and taking possession of the ball scrum half Nathan Cornelius darted thru for the first Try in the 11th minute, after some smart, quick passing behind the scrum. This was converted by full back Steffan Castle: score 7 – 0. After the re-start Ystalyfera took the game back into the visitors half, the ‘Sheddies’ getting aroused by seemingly unfair play by the Seven Sisters forwards. Moving on, outside half Gareth James attempted a long line kick for wing Luc Caines to chase, he being unlucky not to re-gain the ball. The game rotated within the midfield with searching kicks by both sides, until the home forwards worked play into the Garage corner. Making full use of the scrum, Ystalyfera pushed over the line for No8 and Captain Steffan Jones to touch down the second Try in the 25th minute, this also converted by Steffan Castle: score 14 – 0. Things now became a little heated and the referee made full use of the penalty, giving a couple of players a 10 minute rest in the process. This seemed to give Seven Sisters some heart and they make a challenge in the Changing Room corner. Ystalyfera speedily broke out and wing Josh Jarrett was taken out by a Seven defender. Taking the opportunity from the penalty, the Ystalyfera forwards applied themselves again, getting a second push over Try by Captain Steffan Jones in the 38th minute. Half time score 19 – 0.

Second half began much like the first, with Seven Sisters forwards taking the game into the home half. As before, Ystalyfera defended well, breaking out and running the ball as much as possible. With the ‘Fera being patient and keeping control of the game, the effort began to tell on Seven Sisters, with some desperation coming into their play. In the 49th minute, the ever alert Nathan Cornelius broke thru the gain line and ran in his second Try; score 24 – 0. Seven Sisters were not giving up and increased effort by them upped the tempo of the game. This seemed to suit the ‘Fera however and a period of intense pressure ensued. After a disallowed Try in the tunnel corner the intensity took a toll on the visitors, the game moving into passive scrums. This did not deter Ystalyfera and after moving the ball from a quick delivery, centre Emyr Myers found a gap and ran in the 5th Try in the 65th  minute, Steffan Castle converting. The match ended with the final score 31 – 0.

The heavy, muddy condition of the field did not allow for much running rugby, but both sides tried their best. Ystalyfera were in control from the start, and whilst Seven Sisters did their upmost the ‘Fera were not going to be denied. The home win was boosted with the late appearance of Ben Williams, returning to the fold from Trebanos, and Bowdy Davies, back after major injury.

Penalty counts were;

16 for Ystalyfera – 4 in scrum, 4 playing ball when on the floor, 4 offside, 1 high tackle, 2 not releasing tackled player and 1 dangerous kick.

12 for Seven Sisters – 3 not releasing player, 3 holding ball on floor, 2 offside, 1 in scrum, 1 over the top and 2 disputing with referee.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos