Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 15 - 0 Kenfig Hill RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Lloyd Castle
Conversion 1
Penalty 1
Owain Morgan
Try 1
Josh Jarrett
Try 1

Match Report
28 January 2019 / Team News

Ystalyfera 15 - 0 Kenfig Hill

The January 26th home fixture between Ystalyfera and Kenfig Hill took place on a wet, slippery Ynysydarren surface in heavy rain and swirling winds – a challenge for both sides.   

Kenfig Hill kicked off uphill towards the School end, play settling just inside the Ystalyfera half. Working from a line-out, the ‘Fera moved the ball only to concede the first penalty to the ‘Mulers’. The attempted kick went dead, and ‘Fera outside half Taylor Phillips dropped out, only for a return kick being knocked forward by ‘Fera full back Steffan Castle. The contest for control of the slippery ball proved most difficult for both sides and a set of scrums ensued. In the 11th minute, the Ystalyfera backs moved the ball out in a steady textbook fashion, which was enough for wing Josh Jarrett to collect and turn on some pace to outstrip his opponent and run in the first Try. The conversion attempt by Steffan Castle fell just short: score 5 – 0. From the restart, Kenfig Hill sought to keep the ball in hand and run at the home defence, only to knock forward in their haste to avoid a tackle. After a scrum and the first Ystalyfera penalty, the ‘Fera forwards took the initiative and advanced with some close passing. A short grubber kick left the visitor defence in difficulty, and a somewhat desperate clearance over the dead-ball giving Ystalyfera a scrum on the 5m line. A mighty push by the home pack presented No8 Owain Morgan the opportunity to force himself at the Kenfig try-line, the referee awarding the second Try in the 19th minute. This was converted by Steffan Castle: score 12 – 0. Returning to centre-field Kenfig Hill then made a rush towards the ‘Fera posts, earning an attacking scrum. The ‘Mulers’ pressed on and a big tackle saw an attempted long pass knocked on. Ystalyfera completed a long clearance kick down the middle, returning play to the visitors half. The heavy conditions were now starting to tell on both sets of players, Ystalyfera having the sensibility to keep the ball up front at every opportunity until the end of the first period. 

Ystalyfera set up in front of the Kenfig Hill defence at the beginning of the second half. The Kenfig forwards worked hard to make some headway, but the ‘Fera three-quarters swung the game into the Garage corner, one of the rare remaining green parts of the field. The battle for possession between both teams amidst the weather was most demanding, and in the 52nd minute, Ystalyfera managed a turnover which was infringed upon by the visitors. The resultant penalty was kicked over by Steffan Castle: score 15 – 0. Both sides continued full of effort, and with a slight lull in the persistent rainfall, Kenfig Hill made a big effort to redeem the score. The Ystalyfera defence was un-giving, and time after time all of the ‘Mulers’ attempts were rebuffed with interest. Close to the end of the game Ystalyfera applied great pressure, but no additions were made to the score and the match ended with a 15 – 0 Ystalyfera win.  

Both teams made a most commendable effort in the fixture, having to battle the weather as well as their opponents. Ystalyfera were the victors, being true to form and grinding out a rewarding victory, Not much attractive rugby could be expected, the need to get on with it  being part and parcel of the game in the heavy conditions.

The penalty counts were 8 for Ystalyfera and 6 for Kenfig Hill.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos