Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 16 - 3 Glynneath RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Lloyd Castle
Conversion 1
Penalty 3
Steffan Jones
Try 1
Robert Jack O''reilly
1 Penalty

Match Report
03 January 2019 / Team News

Ystalyfera 16 – 3 Glynneath

The much awaited Division One West Central fixture between 100% leaders Glynneath and 2nd placed Ystalyfera took place at Ynysydarren on 29th December.  

In misty damp conditions and a wet sticky surface, Glynneath kicked off towards the School end in front of a large turnout. The league leaders made immediate pressure in the Garage corner, and after a set of tightly contested scrums were awarded a penalty in the 6th minute. Outside half Jack O’Reilly opened the scoring 0 – 3 to the visitors. From the re-start Ystalyfera entered the Glynneath half for the first time and a Gareth James kick and chase saw the Glynneath full back win a penalty for a mid-air tackle. A return penalty saw Ystalyfera return to the visitors half, were a mid-field tussle ensued, both sides wanting control of the ball. A penalty attempt by Glynneath after 15 minutes from the half way line fell short, and Glynneath asserted a period of pressure in the School corner. The Ystalyfera defence however held out strongly, a catch and drive effort by the Glynneath forwards not given by the referee. From a big push by the ‘Fera forwards and an excellent line kick by Gareth James, Ystalyfera returned events back to the half way line. Glynneath continued to seek gaps in the home back line but as the game progressed, it was becoming apparent the work by the ‘Fera forwards in the scrums was starting to gain an advantage. In the 35th minute Ystalyfera made a positive attack up the centre and a penalty was awarded. This was converted by full back Steffan Castle equalising the score: 3 – 3. The remainder of the first half ended with a series of searching kicks by both sides.


The second period began quickly with Ystalyfera making a determined effort into the Garage corner. A line out and catch and drive saw ‘Fera captain and No8 Steffan Jones break thru at the front of the line-out and force himself over for a Try in the 43rd minute. Steffan Castle converted: score 10 - 3. Glynneath being caught a little unaware re-started with some urgency, but a now fired up Ystalyfera side returned proceedings to the visitors half. The visitors wanted to play further downfield and a long kick was fielded well by Steffan Castle, who returned the attempt with interest. Glynneath attempted to up the tempo, and Ystalyfera responded in turn. In the 54th minute a second penalty was kicked over by Steffan Castle, lifting the lead to ten points: 13 – 3. Glynneath showed determination to score again, worthy of a side at the top of the table, but the ‘Fera were not going to be brushed aside easily. Every effort made by Glynneath was countered most effectively by the home side, and as the game moved along the tackling became more thorough as ever. Glynneath then made a most positive effort in the changing room corner, but after the referee disallowed another Try, Ystalyfera cleared their lines. Substitutes were now on for both sides, and Taylor Phillips replacing Gareth James, continuing the defensive work with a couple of very long line kicks. Glynneath with all their effort still had to careful with the home backs more than capable of breaking away and increasing the ‘Fera lead. In the 75th minute Ystalyfera were awarded another penalty and Steffan Castle put in an excellent kick to increase the score to 16 – 3. This left a lead too much for Glynneath who were forced to run every chance and no further changes ensued.

The result deservedly confirmed Ystalyfera at the top of the League. In the sticky conditions both sides put in a great effort, showing their merits at the top of the table.

The penalty counts were 4 for Ystalyfera and 9 for Glynneath.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos