Kenfig Hill RFC | 1st Team 17 - 10 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Graham William Patrick Jones
1 Try
Andrew David Jenkins
1 Try

Match Report
03 May 2018 / Team News

Kenfig Hill 17 –10 Ystalyfera

The midweek fixture at Kenfig Hill on 2nd May, was in dry conditions on a soft surface, with a blustery wind gusting for the southerly end toward the clubhouse.

Against this breeze Ystalyfera started proceedings, and initially both sides tested the effect of the wind with searching kicks. A penalty effort saw Kenfig outside half Cameron Hall kick wide in the 6th minute. Ystalyfera attempted to gain control of the ball with some close inter-passing, but the home side gained possession and broke into the visitors 22. The ‘fera sought to regain the advantage but Kenfig Hill come back again, and a penalty for a late tackle quickly taken, saw the ‘mules’ score the first Try in the corner: score 5 – 0. From the restart Ystalyfera sought to utilise their forwards. Good scrumage work gave clean delivery but badly directed long passing lost the opportunity. Play continued, movement rotating between the sides, with no clear advantage. Kenfig Hill then built an attack into the right hand corner, the Ystalyfera forwards foiling a line out move. In the 23rd minute, substitute Jonathan Williams had to replace No8 Andy Llewellyn, forced to leave the field having sustained a severe shoulder injury. Play gradually crept into the Kenfig Hill half, a penalty gaining a 10m line out. The ‘Fera unfortunately failed to keep the ball, and Kenfig were again able to clear the danger. Both sides were making big efforts to gain advantage, and the contest was fierce enough for the referee to apply frequent penalties due to infringements. Play continued and Ystalyfera were able to make a break into the left hand corner after Kenfig failed to clear the ball, winger Graham Jones ran close to the touchline and was able to score the first ‘Fera Try in the 38th minute: score 5 – 5. From the restart Ystalyfera made a deep clearance back into the home half of the field, where Kenfig Hill moved the ball quickly out their line. Gaps appeared in the Ystalyfera defence with some players out of position, Kenfig drove on and their flanker Lewis Rees managed to cross over in the corner, restoring the five point lead in the 40+2nd minute. The first half ended with the score at 10 – 5.  

Kenfig Hill started the second half and Ystalyfera flanker Ben Williams collected the ball safely. Play continued erratically and the referee was at a loss to keep control. A penalty attempt by Cameron Hall hit an Ystalyfera post, full back Bowdy Davies breaking out and quickly moving play into the Kenfig Hill half. A line out on the home 22 saw Steffan Castle breaking thru the Kenfig defensive line, the support from his forwards working play into a corner of the field. Pressure was now on the ‘mulers’, until they were able to break out and in turn attack the Ystalyfera defence. Action rotated back and fore, both sides defending resolutely until the 58th minute, when off a line out Kenfig Hill flanker Josh Dixson barged over the ‘Fera tryline for the third Kenfig Try. This was converted by Cameron Hall, lifting the score to: 17 – 5. Ystalyfera now attempted to raise their game, and a string of scrums and penalties in the Kenfig half ensued. Ystalyfera full back Bowdy Davies then made an important tackle, Kenfig Hill getting a throw in on the ‘Fera 5m line. Ystalyfera won a resultant scrum, and outside half Steffan Castle made an excellent long clearance kick. Continuing the attack Ystalyfera drove forward and after the break up of a scrum, Andrew Jenkins was able to force his way thru for the second ‘Fera Try in the 70th minute. The home side attempted to respond as before, but Ystalyfera were awake and wanting to claw back the Kenfig lead. The match played out with Ystalyfera trying their best but not managing to effect any further difference, the final score being 17 – 10 to Kenfig Hill.

This was a typical end of season mid week game asking a lot from players of both sides. With no lack of effort, opportunities were laced with unsurprising missed chances, and when either side could have won, victory went to Kenfig Hill.

The penalty counts were;

15 for Ystalyfera – 1 not releasing player, 4 in scrum, 3 illegal hands on the ball, 4 offside, 1 high tackle, 1 in line out and 1 for obstruction.

11 for Kenfig Hill – 3 offside, 3 not releasing ball, 1 in line out, 1 late tackle, 1 retaliation, 1 dangerous tackle and 1 not 10 yds.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos