Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 30 - 17 Aberavon Quins RFC | 1st Team
Luc Caines
Try 2
Josh Jarrett
Try 1
Steffan Castle
Conversion 1
Drop Goal 1
Callum Papp
Try 1
Steffan Jones
Try 1
Marc Sheppard
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Foard Cooksley
1 Try
Craig Young Cox
1 Try

Match Report
08 November 2017 / Team News

Ystalyfera 30 – 17 Aberavon Quins

The home League fixture versus Aberavon Quins took place in sunny, cold conditions, with no wind and a soft surface. Quins kicked off toward the Swansea end, giving an immediate penalty for a dangerous tackle in the air on ‘Fera lock Jesse Patton. The visitors continued with keen aggressive play but the Ystalyfera defence responded by kicking into the Aberavon half. From a good line out Ystalyfera worked the ball into midfield, driving forward for a 5m scrum. A strong push allowed Captain and No8 Steffan Jones to get the first Try in the 6th minute: 5 – 0. Aberavon Quins responded with a deliberate attack and after a lively contest between the forwards for control of the ball, a penalty was awarded to the visitors in the 6th minute. Centre Marc Sheppard converted: 5 – 3. A heartened Aberavon Quins attacked again, with the wind picking up from the South. In the 18th minute, Ystalyfera broke out from a midfield scrum with Steffan Jones bursting thru the centre. Neat passing allowed wing Luc Caines to cross over for the second Try: 10 – 3. Three minutes later and an attack by the Quins broke up with ‘Fera gaining the ball. A long diagonal kick by outside half Steffan Castle to unmarked Luc Caines provided a third Try, this converted by Steffan Castle: 17 – 3. Ystalyfera were now ‘full on’, and began to move the ball to and fro across the field. Aberavon Quins had to kick any possession they got to relieve the pressure. The first half ended with both sides attempting to retain control.

Ystalyfera immediately attacked in the second period, Aberavon Quins making long kicks to gain ground. Gifting possession to the home side may not have been the best policy however, and a searching thru punt by centre Gareth James splitting the Quins backs, allowed wing Josh Jarrett to chase and get the 4th bonus Try in the 43rd minute: 22 – 3. Ystalyfera were hungry for more and a long run out of defence by Luc Caines seemed to earn him a hat-trick, but the referee disallowed his effort. The ‘Sheddies’ supporters made clear their opinion, further enraged by a high tackle on Steffan Castle. Ystalyfera were now piling on the pressure, running the ball from every angle. With play moving into the ‘Tunnel’ corner, ‘Fera forwards drive for the line and in the 56th minute flanker Callum Papp got the 5th Try: 27 – 3. With the visitors defence in a crisis, Ystalyfera continued to openly move the ball looking for openings. In the 71st minute, confusion over what looked like a knock on decision by the referee allowed the Aberavon Quins full back to run in a Try unopposed. This was converted: 27 – 10. The game returned to the visitors half and a penalty awarded in the 73rd minute was added by Steffan Castle: 30 – 10. Aberavon Quins were certainly not finished and a passage of play on the home 5m line saw them run in a second Try in the 79th minute. This was well converted ending the game at 30 – 17.

Ystalyfera gave away 8 penalties:

2 offside, 2 illegal hands on ball, 1 in scrum, 2 over the top and 1 for crossing.

 Aberavon Quins gave away 5 penalties;

2 high tackles, 1 illegal hands on ball, 1 over the top and 1 scrum offence.

This was a well contested and highly paced Division One match, with quality passing and good Trys. Ystalyfera were deserved winners and Aberavon Quins never gave up. After Bonymaen lost at Maesteg this sets up next weekends’ Ystalyfera fixture at Maesteg Quins as a meeting of the first and second sides - both at present undefeated. Kick off is at 1:30.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos