Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 29 - 10 Waunarlwydd RFC | 1st Team
Steffan Castle
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Luc Caines
Try 1
Matthew Scott
Try 1
Steffan Jones
Try 1
Lee Evans
1 Conversion
1 Penalty
Adam Mort
1 Try

Match Report
18 October 2017 / Team News

Ystalyfera 29 – 10 Waunarlwydd

In cloudy damp conditions, Ystalyfera entertained Waunarlwydd in a League fixture at Ynysydarren.

The visitors kicked off towards the Swansea end of the field, and an immediate penalty chance was missed by Waunarlwydd. Striving forward, the game moved into the ‘Tunnel’ corner. The first scrum for Waunarlwydd developed a chance but an appeal for a Try was disallowed. Further scrums ensued and Ystalyfera won the ball, outside half Gareth James making a long line-kick eagerly chased by wing Mathew Scott. The ‘Fera move the ball well to and fro across the field, and both sides try hard to gain control of the game. In the 18th minute, Ystalyfera make some smart quick passing in the middle of the visiting half, allowing wing Lus Caines to jink thru and run in the first Try. This was converted by full back Steffan Castle: score 7 – 0. Waunarlwydd attacked from the restart but Ystalyfera are alert and break up field. When the visitors attempt to regain possession, ‘Fera pass the ball out and centre Andrew “shenko” Jenkins puts in a neat kick which Mathew Scott chases, boots forward and gets the 23rd minute second Try. The conversion attempt by Steffan Castle hits the post: score 12 – 0. Waunarlwydd come back again and in 2 minutes are awarded a penalty which scrum half Lee Evans kicks over: score 12 – 3. The contest continues with both sides making an effort. Ystalyfera begin to apply some pressure with line outs and scrums persisting in the visitors half. Moving the ball well behind a scrum, an excellent worked move sees No8 and Captain Steffan Jones, get the third ‘Fera Try under the posts. Another conversion by Steffan Castle in the 38th minute raises the score: 19 – 3. Ystalyfera forwards show their prowess in the scrum as the first half ends.     

Ystalyfera start the second half and Waunarlwydd touch the ball out of play. The visitors struggle to clear the ball and by giving a penalty chance, Steffan Castle increased the lead to 22 – 3 in the 42nd minute. With flanker Owain Morgan catching good ball at the back of the line out, Ystalyfera begin to control the game with the defence being solid. Waunarlwydd battle hard to redeem the score, and the match creeps up and down midfield. The visitors press into the garage corner with a big effort in the 72nd minute, and centre Adam Mort forces over for a Try which Lee Evans converts: score 22 – 10. Ystalyfera raise their game and set up attacks in the Changing Room corner. Pressure now full on with the ‘Fera forwards well up for it. Attempt after attempt is carried out and after a set of penalties and scrums, the referee has no option but to award a Penalty Try in the 80+3 minute for continual infringement. This ends the game with a final score 29 – 10.

This was a well contested game between two good sides. Whilst Ystalyfera worked to gain the advantage in every aspect of play, Waunarlwydd did their best to keep the ‘Fera out. In the end the home side achieved their first five point victory which was well deserved.

Ystalyfera gave away 11 penalties:

2 offside, 5 for illegal hands, 1 in scrum, 2 use of the boot and 1 contesting the referee.

Waunarlwydd gave away 12 penalties;

1 in from side, 3 illegal hands, 5 in scrum, 1 not 10 yards and 2 late tackles.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos