Bridgend Athletic RFC | 1st Team 7 - 15 Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team
Luc Caines
1 Try
Gareth James
1 Conversion
1 Penalty
Steffan Jones
1 Try

Match Report
26 September 2017 / Team News

Bridgend Athletic 7 – 15 Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera travelled to the Bridgend Ravens home of the “Morganstone Brewery Field”, to play the away league game versus Bridgend Athletic. Conditions were bright sunlight with a stiff breeze, the “home” side kicking off with the wind into the sun.   

The Athletic quickly gave away the first scrum and first two penalties, ‘Fera outside half Gareth James expertly kicking a long line clearance into the home corner. Early on both sides tried to work the ball and gain advantage. In the 7th minute, Ystalyfera broke thru the middle and Captain Stephan Jones made a long pass out to wing Luc Caines who ran in the first Try: score 0 – 5. Play resumed in the ‘Fera 22 and ‘Jamo’ again made another excellent line kick into home territory. Ystalyfera were beginning to exert some pressure and from a strong attack had a Try disallowed for crossing over the dead ball line. Wing Mathew Scott was also starting to make deep clearance kicks. Bridgend appeared at sixes and sevens in defence and nearly lost the ball under their own posts. In the 26th minute the both packs began a stand off, blows being exchanged between opposing props who were later yellow carded. ‘Fera flanker Ryan James was sent off by the referee for retaliation when a team-mate was being punched on the ground. The game continued in the visitors half and after relentless forward pressure by Bridgend, scrum half Dan James dived over a maul to score a Try in the 36th minute. This was converted by Ban Davies: score 7 – 5. A scrappy end to the first half was completed in the 40+6th minute when Gareth James converted a superbly taken penalty: score 7 – 8.

Ystalyfera kicked off the second half and the ‘Fera began to move the ball left and right across the backs, looking for a gap in the home defence. Bridgend Athletic attempted the same when they held possession, and the game became somewhat disorganised. Home prop Mathew Norman sustained a grievance from the first half and in the 48th minute earned a second yellow and was sent off by the referee. Both sides struggled to control the game. The ‘Fera attempting to gradually move forward into home territory.  The Bridgend danger was their backs, who looked the most dangerous. A break from the Bridgend half was thwarted when a centre dropped the ball close to the ‘Fera line. A set of scrums ensued and the referee awarded another red card to a substitute Bridgend Athletic prop for foul play. Ystalyfera took advantage and worked hard to drive up to the home 5m line. Stealing the ball from a Bridgend scrum captain Steffan Jones crossed for the second ‘Fera try in the 80+1 minute, this converted by Gareth James for a final score of 7 – 15.  

Despite almost perfect conditions on an excellent pitch, the game played out with much disruption. Both sides found it hard to overcome their opponents, frustration resulting in physical confrontation. For Ystalyfera, growing confidence and trust in each other, did make the difference in the end. Onwards and upwards – three home games next. Fera yw y gore!!!!

Ystalyfera gave away 11 penalties:

1 for holding the ball on floor, 1 for offside, 3 for over the top,1 for crossing, 2 not releasing a player after a tackle, 2 high/late tackles and 1 scrum offence.

Bridgend Athletic also gave away 11 penalties;

1 scrum offence, 3 offside, 4 holding the ball on floor, 1 hands in scrum, 1 in from the side and 1 high tackle.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos