Ystalyfera RFC | 1st Team 17 - 17 Bonymaen RFC | 1st Team
Gareth James
Penalty 1
Nathan Brooks
1 Try
Stephen O''connor
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Colin Peter Arthur Jones
1 Try

Match Report
05 September 2017 / Team News

Ystalyfera 17 – 17 Bonymaen

The new 2017-18 season began with the visit of Bonymaen at Ynysydarren. Division One Champions on four previous occasions they are one of the ‘favourite’ teams, and a strong contest was expected.

In dry conditions with some sunshine ‘Bony’ kicked off defending the Swansea end. Ystalyfera began with a steady start and after competition for control of the ball made the first attack of the game. ‘Fera centre Martyn Davies attempted a neat chip and the Bonymaen defence kicked the ball dead. A positive first Ystalyfera scrum allowed the backs to attempt a breakthrough on the blind side. Pressure ensued in the ‘tunnel’ corner of the field and the visitors defended well. The contest settled in midfield and both sides were showing some early season ‘loose’ ball play. Ystalyfera forwards started with a tight effective scrum but an unfortunate penalty given in the 10th minute, allowed Bonymaen outside half Steve O’Connor to open the score 0 – 3. The ‘Fera returned with a determined attack, and wing Ceri Wyn Myers was bundled into touch. On the offensive and switching their play was rewarded in the 28th minute when a penalty for hands in a ruck allowed Ystalyfera club top scorer Gareth James to equalise with a penalty 3 – 3. Events continued inside the visitors half of the field and when flanker Jesse Patton stole the ball from the back of a scrum the chance was lost. Against the run of play a quick break from a line out into the ‘Fera half, allowed a kick and chase behind the home defence and Bonymaen winger Nathan Brooks ran in the first Try under the posts. This was converted by Steve O’Connor : score 3 – 10. Boosted by their lead Bonymaen now pulled out all the stops, and ended the first half attacking with some purpose, Ystalyfera working hard to keep them out.

The ‘Fera restarted the game towards the school end, Bonymaen clearing the ball deep downfield. Ystalyfera forwards worked well to gain possession with good line out and scrum set piece play, whilst Bonymaen were content to carry out long kicks from defence. Ystalyfera resorted to their well tuned power play up front and after a set of scrums and penalties within the visitors 22 the referee decided to award a penalty Try in the 50th minute : score 10 – 10. Bonymaen reacted to losing the lead and made a sweeping fast attack, which was thwarted by a bad pass. The game was now moving at a fast pace with both sides looking to gain the advantage. Ystalyfera took the ball into the Bonymaen 22 and the visitors surged back with a deep searching kick, this having to be fielded well by ‘Fera full back Mathew Scott. In the 58th minute Bonymaen moved the ball into the middle of the field from a line out and substitute centre Colin Jones scored the second Bony Try, again converted by Steve O’Connor: score 10 – 17. Ystalyfera continued to make a big effort with Bonymaen defending resolutely. As the game moved into additional time, the ‘Fera returned to their forward power play with scrum after scrum not far from the Bonymaen tryline. Not resorting to the ‘yellow card’, the referee extended time with penalties and in the 80+5 minute awarded a second penalty Try. This levelled the score at 17 – 17 at the close.  

For the start of the season this was a dogged hard fought contest between two strong sides. Despite a lot of penalties awarded, it was not a ‘dirty’ game and either side could have won. A share of the spoils was a fair result.

Penalty counts were 14 for Ystalyfera;

3 in scrum, 2 high tackle, 4 holding ball on floor and 5 for offside.

and 8 against;

1 for entry from side, 2 in scrum, 1 hands in ruck, 2 holding the ball on floor, 1 pulling player to the ground  and 1 offside.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos